Well, I thought it would be a good idea to take up the "Last Minute Challenge" at the Septentrian 12th night event this past Saturday. We had to make a project starting Thursday night, using things we already had and had not previously researched. So, I seized the opportunity to try my hand at making something that I have loved for quite awhile....13th century inlaid earthenware floor tiles.
I had seen them in my travels in England and I loved the designs and the contrast between the white and red clay bodies. I knew that they were stamped and had a clay slip poured into the impression and then scraped smooth to reveal the design. Other than that...I knew nothing.
But, in this day and age, this is something that can be quickly remedied with the inter-weeb! Well, it turned out that I needed to carve the stamp from wood - which I guess makes sense, but silly me thought that I would be cutting the image out with a fret saw and then using that as my stamp. Nope! We gotta do this the hard way, especially since all I had in the house wood-wise was pine. GRRRRR!
So, after fighting with Luna's dull dollar store carving tools, I remembered that I had my own set...which made for easier going, but even bringing my work to the event and carving there, I never managed to get to stick it into the clay.
However, I do not see this as a failure....I have now an almost complete stamp and more time to leisurely experiment with the clay. I can research more in depth (some of the key tomes were not available online) and find more compatible clays. As long as I don't leave it by the wayside and get distracted with other things (which I have been known to do).
Maybe I'll re-tile the bathroom while I'm at it ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment