
OK....so 9 years ago, aflush with love, I bought my honey some beautiful mossy green tweed aran wool, straight from Ireland, to knit him a scarf. I don't even remember the brand, let alone anything else about the yarn, other than the price -$8.50 a skein - OUCH, this from the girl who bought her yarn at Goodwill. So, $30 dollars later, I began my scarf of love...however, after a few rows it became evident that a scarf needn't be 2 feet wide, so not disheartened, I unravelled and began again. This time, after much labour and ruminating about my lover, I discovered that if you try to make a scarf in only stockinette stitch, you end up with a very lovely and warm sausage. So, I unravelled again. I figured the third time was the charm, so I carefull gauged and then researched and began my beautiful moss stitch scarf (apt I figured due to the colour of the now very weakened yarn). I was so happy when it was almost a yard long, I decided to wrap it around my neck and check it out in the mirror. ACKK!! HORRORS!! It was SO itchy! At this point I almost cried.
Well, I put it down for a little while after that (alright, 2 years), until I found a cool pattern to make socks. AHA! I think to myself, my husband (as he had become in the subsequent few years) loves wool socks, that's what I'll make for him! Well, armed with my new dpn I struggle furiously with knitting in the round, only to discover that I have tube that would fit a toddler, not a 6' tall cyclist. *sigh*
Fast forward to 18 months ago....I pick up a different booklet about socks, and guess what?! Socks are easy and fun...who would have thought? Needless to say, this reminds me of the dreaded moss mass in the basement and I go and dig it up. But, do I just knit him some nice simple, top down cute socks??
NOOO...I have to make him KILT HOSE!
But after doing the research (there aren't very many cabled free hose patterns on the web - oh yeah, did I mention that they are cabled and toe up to boot?) I finally started the final project...everything went nicely for a while, I was even clever enough to knit both of them at the same time, since I wanted to be sure that they would end up the same length and I wouldn't run out of yarn when I was halfway up the second sock. Well, it was looking like my 3 skeins weren't going to anywhere near enough and Romni didn't stock that colour anymore :( I resigned myself to making just regular socks ,when one day at the local Value Village (which I hadn't visited in months), I noticed a ball of yarn as the restocking lady passed by with her cart...I snatched it up and lo and behold it was my yarn and it was 69 cents!!!


NOOO...I have to make him KILT HOSE!


So...I thought that I would share my progress as I promised Matt that I would have them finished for him for Yule...and you know what? I think that I am going to make it!!!

1 comment:
I just linked the pattern to the posting...I'm still learning about this HTML stuph. But, aren't they cool?
Post a Comment